Thursday, October 9, 2008

Something I find too funny

Let me know if any of you out there can relate to this:

Have you noticed how when the child is being sweet and well behaved, it is ‘our’ child, but when the child is being an asshole, it suddenly becomes ‘your’ child.

“Do you know what YOUR child did today??” or “Your child has just spilt juice all over the floor” Or our personal favourite: “Your child has just pooped in his nappy”. A poopy child is never ours, always yours.

But there are occasions when it is neither ‘our’ nor ‘your’, but ‘my’. And that is when your partner is disciplining your child. Ok, so maybe you don’t say it out loud, but in your head you are yelling, “HEY YOU MEAN BASTARD, DON’T YOU DARE YELL AT MY CHILD LIKE THAT”.

Of course, two seconds later you want to murder the little buggers yourself, but hey, only you can yell at your children. Your yelling is appropriate and necessary, his yelling is mean and ag shame, now he has made them cry.

That is probably both the joy and the burden of single parenting – you might not have occasion to hand the poopy bum over, but you also don’t have anyone yelling at YOUR kids.

Now please could you go clean up that juice on the kitchen floor that YOUR child spilt!

Yea.. I thought you would find it as amusing as I did :-).

1 comment:

Beth said...

It's hilarious that you posted that - I had followed the So Close posting from Jen's blog because it was about pulling eyelashes (which I do) and saw that Tertia has a new 24Parent site so I went to check it out and was rolling on the floor at that post. Then I came back to read your new post, and voila! There it is. So true. I especially like the "don't you dare yell at MY child like that" dialogue you dare only have inside your head...